Friday, April 1, 2011

Book Review: GOD IS IN THE PANCAKES

Several days ago (I've been very busy lately and I haven't gotten a chance to blog) I finished God is in the Pancakes by Robin Epstein.

Fifteen-year-old Grace Manning works a few days a week in a nursing home called the Hanover House. She mainly talks to Mr. Sands, who she loves like a father- even more so because her father walked out on her family about a year earlier. But Mr. Sands has Lou Gehrig's disease, which is a disease that slowly shuts down your body until you can no longer even breathe by yourself. Nevertheless, Grace loves her visits to Mr. Sands' room- until he asks her one frightening question: "Will you help me die?" He hands her a envelope of pills and tells her to work them into a cake the she would make for him, so he can "Go down eating cake." Grace doesn't know what to do. Throughout the course of this book, Grace struggles while deciding which path she should take.


This book was fun, sad, thought-provoking, and VERY funny all at the same time. I loved Grace's snappy, sarcastic attitude. There is a twist at the end that I wasn't expecting AT ALL, but it made the book amazing. This was a great read!


Okay, funny story. All week when I would bring this book to school, people would stop me and be like, "God is in the pancakes??? What- what kind of book title is that???" It was pretty funny, actually, because I got this reaction from people several times a day, and it was always the same. The title may sound a bit strange, but it totally fits the book. Grace also struggles with discovering if she believes in God or not, and she finds comfort in pancakes. So, strange as it might be, I can't think of a different title that would make this book better than the one already on the front cover of it.


Rating: :0) :0) :0) :0) :0) 5 out of 5 smileys


Would I recommend it to a friend?: Yes, I would recommend it to all of my friends. It was a great book!


Peace and Love,

Aceba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)