Sunday, April 10, 2011

Book Review: TREE GIRL

Earlier this morning I finished reading Tree Girl by Ben Mikaelsen. Ben Mikaelsen is an awesome author. I've read a few of his books, including Touching Spirit Bear and Ghost of Spirit Bear, which are two amazing books. Ben Mikaelsen actually lives with a 700 pound bear!!! It's true!!! Last year my English class got to have a live video chat with him, which was pretty cool. Anyways, on to the book.

Gabriela lives in a small village in Guatemala. People call her Tree Girl because she always climbs high into trees. One day while she is at the market soldiers burn her village and kill everyone, except for one of her sisters and one of her brothers. Gabi flees with her sibllings into the forest. Together they have to try to survive alone and make it to a refugee camp across the Mexican border. The amazing thing is, this is based on a true story that was told to Ben Mikaelsen at a safe house in Guatemala.

This was a eye opening story for me. It's told with such feeling that at times I felt like crying. Also, there were bits of Spanish in there, so that was really cool. It was an amazing book, but at times it was a litte graphic.Overall, I really liked it.

Rating: :0) :0) :0) :0) 4 out of 5 smileys.

Would I recommend it to a friend?: Yes, but I would keep in mind that it is gory and graphic in some parts.

Peace,
Aceba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)