Sunday, October 28, 2012

Quote: Homer H. Hickam Jr.

This week's quote is:

"It seemed as if all through grade school I was reading two books, one for me and one for my teachers."
 - October Sky by Homer H. Hickam Jr. (pages 13-14)
 
I really like this quote because it's true. My English teachers always make us read and analyze certain books, when if they just let me pick my own book I would get so much more out of it. Now, I'm not saying that I'm complaining about having to read classics all the time- I think it is very important to be exposed to different kinds of writing. However, I think that being able to pick the book you want to read every once in while is important, too. So yes, Mr. Hickam Jr, over fifty years later teachers are still forcing their students to read books that they cannot connect to, or that are well below their reading level, or even a mixture of the two reasons. Wouldn't it be wonderful if English teachers actually communicated with their students and took an interest in the books that they found enjoyable to read?
 
Yours,
NutFreeNerd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)