Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Book Review: THE LOST HERO

Author: Rick Riordan
Number of Pages: 557
Publisher: Hyperion Books for Children
Release Date: October 12, 2010

Jason is utterly confused when he wakes up on a school bus headed to who-knows-where, next to a girl he is convinced he has never seen before in his life. He doesn't remember anything about his past, and he doesn't even know who he is. Even more perplexing is the fact that the girl-her name is Piper- and a boy named Leo claim that they are all best friends attending the Wilderness School, a boarding school for "troubled" or "bad" kids. Things get even wackier when the trio is attacked during a school field trip by strange creatures they have never seen before. Jason, Leo, and Piper end up getting sent to Camp Half-Blood, a place where the children of gods and goddesses can stay in safety- for the most part. This unique trio then embarks on a quest to make things okay again, if that is even possible.

After reading the Percy Jackson series (also by Rick Riordan) I had very high hopes for this book. I really liked how Riordan incorporated mythology into a contemporary story in a way that was both clever and easy to understand. I hoped that he would not lose that skill when writing this companion-like series, and I was not disappointed! This story has plenty of gods and goddesses woven through it, and not just the Greek ones- you get a taste of Roman ones as well. The gods and goddesses focused on in this novel are different from the ones highlighted in the Percy Jackson series, which I appreciated very much. It seems like this book goes more in depth into the cabins of the gods and goddesses that weren't mentioned a lot previously, which gives you a fuller vision of Camp Half-Blood.

This book was written from perspectives that changed between Piper, Jason, and Leo. This was very different from the way the Percy Jackson series was written (with it being told entirely from Percy's point of view) but I really do think that in this case it worked. I don't think that the story was hindered at all by this. In fact, I think it added a lot more depth to not only the book as a whole but the characters as well.

My favorite character was probably Leo. I felt bad for him sometimes, because he was constantly the odd one out where the trio was concerned, mainly due to the fact that Jason and Piper had a little thing going on. However, he was determined nonetheless, and he always made funny comments and cracked jokes to lighten the mood. To me, he seemed like the most realistic character personality-wise.

While I didn't love this novel quite as much as I loved the Percy Jackson series, it was still a great book! I can't wait to read the next one!

My Rating: :0) :0) :0) :0) :0) 5 out of 5 smileys

Would I recommend it to a friend?: Absolutely!

Yours,
NutFreeNerd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)