Monday, October 1, 2012

Book Review: THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER

Author: Stephen Chbosky
Number of Pages: 213
Publisher: Pocket Books
Release Date: January 1, 1999

This is the story of Charlie, a fifteen-year-old freshman in high school who is lost without a friend- that is, until he meets Patrick and Sam (step-siblings, both seniors) and they take him in as one of their group. This is the story of Charlie, who is still grieving over the death of his beloved aunt, who seemed to understand him in a way that no one else did. This is the story of Charlie, who goes through so much that at times he just doesn't know what to say. But most importantly, this is the story of Charlie, who seems to be both a wallflower and the star of the show at the same time.

I have wanted to read this book for the longest time, but I just haven't gotten around to it. When I heard this book was going to be a movie I was like "Okay, I have to read it before I go see the movie," because of course I'm going to go see the movie- Emma Watson is in it! And for all of you who don't know who Emma Watson is, I have two words for you: HERMIONE GRANGER.

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about this book. Mostly the reviews I've read or heard are from people who either love this book or hate it. I would say I'm somewhere in the middle. This book reminded me a lot of The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, which is sort of funny because it mentions it in the story quite a bit. The main character, Charlie, is lonely and likes to think a lot and has a family that isn't very supportive. But I would say that The Perks of Being a Wallflower is more positive and hopeful in a way than The Catcher in the Rye, because Charlie eventually finds his niche and seems to have a sense of belonging, even if that feeling is small.

I have this thing for books that are set in the 90's, so this was quite enjoyable for me to read. I like how much more simple everything was a decade or so ago, when instead of texting people or looking them up on Facebook you would get their number and call them or actually talk to them face to face. I also liked this book because it was relatable, even to me, being the type of person who doesn't do drugs or hang out with those type of people or have a family who isn't supportive. I was still able to connect with it despite all these things, because I think that deep down inside we all feel like a wallflower sometimes. And that's something that makes this book so utterly relatable.

However, there were some things that I didn't like about the book. Parts of it felt exaggerated to me, like how Charlie would break down crying in public all the time over the littlest of things. I can't really imagine a fifteen year old boy doing that. Also, some parts were dragged on a lot, and were sort of slow. But other than that, this book was really good.

I can't wait to see the movie, because it will be interesting to see which parts they keep and which parts they leave out. This is one of those books that makes you think. It's also one of those books that lingers there in the back of your mind for days after you finish reading it. At least, that's what this book is for me.

My Rating: :0) :0) :0) :0) 4 out of 5 smileys

Would I recommend it to a friend?: Yes.

Always,
NutFreeNerd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)