Saturday, October 20, 2012

Book Review: OCTOBER SKY

Author: Homer H. Hickam Jr.
Number of Pages: 448
Publisher: Dell
Release Date: 1998

Originally published with the title Rocket Boys, this memoir by Homer H. Hickam Jr. recounts his experience as a son of a coal mine superintendent living in Coalwood, West Virginia. The year was 1957, and Homer was inspired by the flight of Sputnik, the Russian satellite, to start building his own mini rockets. He hoped someday that his hard work would get him and his friends all the way to Cape Canaveral, where scientists were working on a way to build rockets that would fly higher and higher.

I remember watching this movie in elementary school, and until recently I had no idea that it was based off of an actual book, never mind a memoir! I had never read a memoir before this, so I was very excited to dive into it.

I loved this book! Hickam's writing style is the perfect balance between description, action, and dialogue, and it makes reading it very enjoyable. I felt like I was there with Homer and his friends building rockets and watching the workers trudge their way to the mine. The story itself is so wonderful that it's hard to believe that it actually occurred in real life. It takes place in such an interesting time in American history, when everyone is both hopeful and a bit sad at the same time. Hickam really incorporates the culture and lifestyle of what it was like to live in a coal mining town in 1950's America, which gives the book a lot more depth and meaning.

Overall, I have nothing bad to say about this book. It was 448 pages of awesomeness! I'm definitely going to watch the movie again soon!

Later,
NutFreeNerd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)