Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Book Review: WHERE THINGS COME BACK

Author: John Corey Whaley
Number of Pages: 256
Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers 
Release Date: May 3, 2011

It is the summer before Cullen Witter's senior year of high school when his life suddenly turns upside-down. One day Cullen's intelligent and utterly unique fifteen year old brother, Gabriel, disappears. At the same time, Cullen's small hometown of Lily, Arkansas begins to obsess about an extinct woodpecker that has apparently somehow reappeared. Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, a young missionary named Benton Sage spreads his faith to the people of a small town in Africa in an attempt to feel happy with his life. When these two stories come together it will be a moment that stirs your soul and that will linger in your mind for days afterward.

When I first picked up this book at my local Barnes and Noble, I expected it to be yet another average story about a teenager's life during that legendary summer before their senior year of high school. Well, Where Things Come Back completely blew that expectation out of the water. I am absolutely shocked that this is John Corey Whaley's first novel, because the story is written in such a way that hints at the author having a lot of experience.

My favorite thing about this book was the way the two stories really began to come together at the end. It's such a good feeling to be reading along and suddenly realize that everything makes sense, and that's exactly the feeling I experienced towards the end of this novel. Also, I really liked Gabriel, Cullen's younger brother. He's just one of those characters that you want to keep reading about. The way he viewed life and how he listened to off-beat music and always read The Catcher in the Rye (by J.D. Salinger) is just really refreshing to me. I wish more authors put that much detail, thought, and depth into their characters.

Overall, this was an awesome book. I hope John Corey Whaley writes another one soon!

My Rating: :0) :0) :0) :0) :0) 5 out of 5 smileys.
Would I recommend it to a friend?: YES.

Yours,
NutFreeNerd

1 comment:

  1. The cover reminds me a lot of John Green's Fault in Our Stars. :) Same colors.

    ReplyDelete

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)