Saturday, December 17, 2011

Book Review: TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

Author: Harper Lee
Number of Pages: 323
Publisher: Harper Perennial Modern Classics
Release Date: 1960

The unforgettable novel of a childhood in a sleepy Southern town and the crisis of conscience that rocked it, To Kill A Mockingbird became both an instant bestseller and a critical success when it was first published in 1960. It went on to win the Pulitzer Prize in 1961 and was later made into an Academy Award-winning film, also a classic.

Compassionate, dramatic, and deeply moving, To Kill A Mockingbird takes readers to the roots of human behavior - to innocence and experience, kindness and cruelty, love and hatred, humor and pathos. Now with over 18 million copies in print and translated into forty languages, this regional story by a young Alabama woman claims universal appeal. Harper Lee always considered her book to be a simple love story. Today it is regarded as a masterpiece of American literature.
                                                                                                        - Goodreads.com

I read this book with my English class at school and I have to say, I was impressed. The first part of this book sort of dragged on a bit, but as soon as the trial section kicked in I was turning page after page, eager to see what the verdict would be. My favorite part of this novel was the ending- the little twist with Boo Radley really pulled it all together, in my opinion. I now see why this book is an American classic- it was really good!

My Rating: :0) :0) :0) :0) 4 out of 4 smileys. I'm giving this a 4 out of 4 because the ending was sort of slow and not that interesting, in my opinion, anyways. However, the rest of the book was excellent and I really enjoyed it!

Would I recommend it to a friend?: Absolutely. Don't be hesitant to pick up this novel and start reading- once you get into it, it is really good!

Hugs,
Aceba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)