Thursday, June 23, 2011

Book Review: THE WARLOCK

Earlier this week I finished reading The Warlock by Michael Scott. This is the 5th book in the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series. The sixth and last book in this series comes out next summer, in 2012.

This series is about Sophie and Josh Newman, a pair of twins living in San Francisco while their busy parents are away working. One day, their lives are turned upside-down when three strange men attack the bookshop that Josh works in. From that day on their lives are never the same, as they are constantly on the run. Why are they running for their lives??? Well, to find that out, you are going to have to read the series, starting with the first book, The Alchemyst.

This series is excellent!!! There is so much detail in these books but it isn't overwhelming- this is something that I think a lot of authors struggle with. I've read books where there are so many random details that after a while your brain begins to spin around in circles. Well, I'm ecstatic to say that this is not one of those books! Every detail seems to find its place in the story, even if it takes a whole book to find. Every event and every idea connects to another, and everything happens for a reason. Also, this book is extremely well-written; it has a lot of those phrases and ideas that just make you stop and think and enjoy the words. Every character is different and fully-developed, which keeps this long series from being monotonous. The action never seems to stop and there are many twists and turns that will keep you on both your toes and the edge of your seat.

The one thing that may keep people from reading this series is that it is an absolute fantasy book. It contains mythological creatures and magic, but different magic than the "Harry Potter" magic that most of us are used to. If you're not a fan of fantasy series, than these may not be the books for you.

My Rating: :0) :0) :0) :0) :0) 5 out of 5 smileys

Would I recommend it to a friend?: Absolutely!!!!

Hugs,
Aceba

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE THAT SERIES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FINALLY got Warlock! Loved it! I can't wait for the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - I went to a bookstore and Enchantress was THERE!!!
    I was like AAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! I had totally lost track of when that was coming out!!!!
    I bought it right away.
    I can't wait to start!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)