Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Book Review: CHAINS


Yesterday I finished reading Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson.

Chains is about thirteen year old Isabel who is a slave during the Revolutionary War. When her owner dies, Isabel and her younger sister, Ruth, and sold to the Locktons. The Locktons are a very wealthy couple who claim to be Patriots, but they are actually Loyalists. Isabel and Ruth are forced to travel from their old home in Rhode Island to the Locktons' house in New York. This book tells the harsh story of these two girls as they struggle to remain sane as slaves to the Locktons.

I have always been a fan of historical fiction, though I find it hard to find historical fiction novels that are actually fast-paced, interesting, and not impossible to comprehend. Well, Chains was was amazing!!! It kept me hooked from the very first page!!! It is a little gory, but I think you need those gruesome details to really understand what child slaves went through during this time period. All in all, this was a great read, and I will absolutely be reading the next book in this series!!!
Rating: :0) :0) :0) :0) :0) 5 out of 5 smileys
Would I recommend it to a friend?: Absolutely, even if they wouldn't normally read historical fiction.

Peace,
Aceba

1 comment:

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)