Tuesday, November 20, 2012

THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER: The Book vs The Movie

So about a week ago I went to go see The Perks of Being A Wallflower movie with some friends. We've been meaning to go see it forever (it came out sometime in September) but we have been so busy that we just haven't had a chance. Let me tell you that I am so glad I went to see it!

Usually when I watch a movie that is based off of a book, I am a bit disappointed. Certain characters aren't how I pictured them, or important scenes are for some reason completely left out- whatever the reason, there is some level of unsatisfaction within me. Surprisingly, that was not the case with this movie. The portrayal of characters was spot on, and the scenes that were left out were not ones that were majorly significant to the theme of the story. Most importantly, the theme of the book was transferred excellently into the movie. A lot of the time, when a book is made into a movie the producers focus on different aspects of the story- most of the time they focus on the romantic relationships between the characters. However, I felt that the theme of the book was not lost in translation while creating the movie at all.

Emma Watson plays Sam, one of the main characters. This had me worried, because I had never seen Emma Watson play a role in a movie when she wasn't Hermione. Would I look at Sam and think of Harry Potter the entire time, or would I be engulfed in the story like I should be? Not once during the movie did I think of Hermione- that's how good of an actress Emma Watson is.

This is one of the only movies that I can say with confidence that I liked it as much- if not more- than the book it is based off of.

Go see The Perks of Being a Wallflower- you won't be disappointed!

Always,
NutFreeNerd

1 comment:

  1. I find it insulting that you did not mention Ezra Miller's complete and all-encompassing awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)