Thursday, November 15, 2012

Book Review: A STUDY IN SCARLET



 
Author: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Number of Pages: 108
Publisher: Penguin Classics
Release Date: January 1, 1887

"A Study in Scarlet" is the first published story of one of the most famous literary detectives of all time, Sherlock Holmes. Here Dr. Watson, who has just returned from a war in Afghanistan, meets Sherlock Holmes for the first time when they become flat-mates at the famous 221 B Baker Street. In "A Study in Scarlet" Sherlock Holmes investigates a murder at Lauriston Gardens as Dr. Watson tags along with Holmes while narratively detailing his amazing deductive abilities."
                                                 - Goodreads.com

Very recently I took an interest in reading the Sherlock Holmes stories for one particular reason: I watched both seasons of Sherlock from BBC and fell in love with it. For those of you who don't know, Sherlock is a British television show that puts a modern twist on the original Sherlock Holmes stories. Since the episodes are based off of the books, I decided that I should probably read them. I wasn't expecting that the stories themselves would be fantastic, but that's exactly what I got. Honestly, these stories are SO GOOD!

One of the things that strikes me as unique about these stories is the Holmes and Watson duo. Holmes is such an unlikable character- he's arrogant, a bit rude, and very wacky- that I just can't help but love him. I know that sounds odd, but it's true. I love how oblivious he is to the outside world, and how he doesn't even know that the earth orbits the sun. Then you have sweet, loyal Watson, who is just as likable but in a different way. The way Sherlock Holmes always has to be busy working on a case is good for Watson, because it helps him recuperate from the war. The make the best flat-mates ever!

The other thing I love about these stories is how intricate and complex the mysteries are. Have you ever read a mystery novel and at the end when they tell you how it all worked out you feel like it was too simple? I doubt that will ever happen with these stories. There are so many little details and so much background to the criminals that by the end of the story you feel as though you have known them forever.

Everything is perfectly paced and the writing is flowy and beautiful.Honestly, these stories are amazing! I'll definitely be reading more of them.

My Rating: :0) :0) :0) :0) :0) 5 out of 5 smileys.

Would I recommend it to a friend?: YES!

Yours,
NutFreeNerd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)