Sunday, June 17, 2012

Book Review: THE SECRETS OF THE IMMORTAL NICHOLAS FLAMEL SERIES

 Author: Michael Scott
Number of Pages:
The Alchymest ~ 375
The Magician ~ 461
The Sorceress ~ 483
The Necromancer ~ 389
The Warlock ~ 380
The Enchantress ~ 509
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers

"He holds the secret that can end the world.
The truth: Nicholas Flamel was born in Paris on September 28, 1330. Nearly 700 years later, he is acknowledged as the greatest Alchemyst of his day. It is said that he discovered the secret of eternal life.
The records show that he died in 1418.
But his tomb is empty.
The legend: Nicholas Flamel lives. But only because he has been making the elixir of life for centuries. The secret of eternal life is hidden within the book he protects—the Book of Abraham the Mage. It's the most powerful book that has ever existed. In the wrong hands, it will destroy the world. That's exactly what Dr. John Dee plans to do when he steals it. Humankind won't know what's happening until it's too late. And if the prophecy is right, Sophie and Josh Newman are the only ones with the power to save the world as we know it.
Sometimes legends are true.
And Sophie and Josh Newman are about to find themselves in the middle of the greatest legend of all time."

                                                - Goodreads.com

When I first picked up these books, I though they were going to be like any other fantasy book. Little did I know that this series was full of complex plot lines, characters with incredible depth, mythology that would make my head spin. There is just so much detail in these books. That's the main reason I didn't write my own summary for this one- there are so many tiny details that I had no clue where to begin.

There were so many things I like about this series. First, it was different from a lot of other fantasy books I have read (and trust me, I've read A LOT of fantasy). It was based on mythology, but not common mythology. There are many books out there that are based on Greek, Egyptian, or Roman mythology, such as the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. Now, as much as I love Percy Jackson, it was nice to read about something different. These books were a little mixture of everything, but it was mainly based on the mythology of Atlantis, and how it fell. I found this extremely interesting because I had never really though about this side of mythology before.

Also, I liked how all of the covers are nearly as detailed as the books are. I mean, look at them! Each cover tells a story of its own, sort of leading you to wonder what the story behind it tells. These covers are also really neat because after reading each novel, you will understand (with a little thinking, of course) why the book is titled what it is. All these little bits and pieces of additional elements make these books the amazing series that they are.

Another thing I really liked about this series was how everything sort of came full circle at the very end. Since I am very picky with endings, I usually do not like them. However, I absolutely loved the ending of this series. Everything came to a close, and most importantly, it made sense according to what happened in the book.

My Rating: :0) :0) :0) :0) :0) I rate this entire series 5 out of 5 stars.

Would I recommend it to a friend?: Absolutely!

Yours,
NutFreeNerd






3 comments:

  1. Yay! I love this series. Do you have a favorite book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all of them, but my favorite one would probably have to be the very first book. Or maybe the very last. They were both really good! I'm so sad that this series has ended. I hope he comes out with some other books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very satisfied with the last book! :)
    It had seemed so black and white up until that point, but then everything got a bunch more complex and really fascinating to read!

    ReplyDelete

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)