Monday, January 2, 2012

Book Review: THE INHERITANCE CYCLE

Author: Christopher Paolini
Number of Pages:
Eragon ~ 503
Eldest ~ 704
Brisingr ~ 763
Inheritance ~ 860
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Release Date:
Eragon ~ January 1, 2003
Eldest ~ August 23, 2005
Brisingr ~ September 20, 2008
Inheritance ~ November 8, 2011
"When young Eragon finds a polished blue stone in the forest, he thinks it is the lucky discovery of a poor farm boy; perhaps it will buy his adopted family meat for the winter. But when the stone brings a dragon hatchling, Eragon realizes he has stumbled upon a legacy nearly as old as the Empire itself. Overnight his simple life is shattered, and he is thrust into a perilous new world of inescapable destiny, magical forces, and powerful people. With only an ancient sword and the instruction of an old,mysterious, hermit storyteller for guidance, Eragon and the fledgling dragon must navigate the dangerous terrain and dark enemies of an Empire ruled by a Emperor whose evil and power knows no bounds. Can Eragon take up the mantle of the legendary Dragon Riders? The fate of the Empire may rest in his hands…"
                                                                 - Goodreads.com

This was my second time reading the first three books in this series and my first time reading the last one, and I have to say it really blew me away. Christopher Paolini is an extremely talented writer. All of the chapters flowed together, as well as the books themselves. There was so much detail that I felt like I was actually there with Eragon and the other characters. Also, all of the characters grow immensely throughout the series, and it's cool to see how their relationships develop.

I was really impressed by the last book. I always have mixed feelings about the last book in series. The last book can really make or break the series as a whole, because if the ending is bad that's your last impression of it, so you're less likely to go back and reread it. But I have to say, the ending was really good! I was a little disappointed by the lack of relationship between Eragon and a certain girl (I won't say who because it would give too much away) but I guess it was for the best. The ending wasn't corny, and there was no vague, too-happy epilogue to ruin things. It was a great read!

 I know that  a lot of people don't like these books because they're "too detailed" or "too long." WHAT?!?! So what you're saying is that you don't like them because the writing is "too good" and the plot is "too action-packed." Come on, people! Give this series an honest chance! I know that they are long and that they have a lot of detail, but that doesn't make them bad books.

My Rating:
Eragon ~ :0) :0) :0) :0) :0) 5 out of 5 smileys
Eldest ~ :0) :0) :0) :0) :0) 5 out of 5 smileys
Brisingr ~ :0) :0) :0) :0) :0) 5 out of 5 smileys
Inheritance ~ :0) :0) :0) :0) :0) 5 out of 5 smileys
That's right: I give the entire series a 5 out of 5 smileys!!!! It is one of my all-time favorite series ever, along with Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc. This is a series well worth your time!

Would I recommend it to a friend?: Absolutely!!!!

Yours,
Aceba


1 comment:

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)