Sunday, October 16, 2011

Book Review: THE CATCHER IN THE RYE

Author: J.D. Salinger
Number of Pages: 277
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Release Date: 1951

Holden Caulfield is a sixteen year old boy who has been kicked out of several private boarding schools. This is the story of how he gets through an emotional time in his life, one that he goes through mostly alone.

I read this book with my English class last month. I have mixed feelings about this classic. Parts of this book made me want to rip my hair out, especially when all Holden did was ramble on and on about how depressed he was and how he hated watching movies and how he couldn't stand people who were 'phony' and blah blah blah.... I think you get the point. As the book went on I grew to like Holden more, though. However, I particularly liked the ending. It was actually on of the best endings to a book I've ever read. I never expected it.

My Rating: :0) :0) :0) 3 out of 5 smileys. Like I said, I have mixed feelings about this book. It was okay, but definitely not the best book I've ever read.

Would I recommend it to a friend?: Yes. Even though I did not absolutely LOVE it, I would still recommend it to people. I have to say, reading it as a group in my English class did help me understand it a lot more than I would have than if I just read it on my own. So I suggest either getting some friends to read it with you, or ask your English teacher if you can read it as a class.

Hugs,
Aceba

4 comments:

  1. Sounds good!
    Do you know what the title is referencing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just want to say that, even though I haven't commented in a while, I HAVE been reading your posts and still love your blog, and I know of several friends of mine who also read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well?
    Do you know what the title references?

    ReplyDelete

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)