Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Book Review: NEVERMORE

Author: James Patterson
Number of Pages: 368
Publisher: Little Brown and Company
Release Date: August 6, 2012

In this eighth and final installment in the Maximum Ride series, Max is struggling with a lot of things on her plate. How do you juggle saving the world, wondering if part of your flock is dead or alive, and trying to get a grasp on your feelings for both Fang and Dylan? On top of it all, time is running out before the end comes. Who will come out on top? Will it be the end of all life on Earth, or will the new advanced species of humans conquer all?

Okay. So even though I read this book a few weeks ago I'm still trying to sort out my opinion of it. Everything seemed to happen so quickly in this novel that by the end my head was spinning and I was like WHAT? THAT'S IT???? I won't go into depth about the specific events of this book because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who wants to read it, as it is the last book in the series so the outcome is pretty important.

As always, I enjoyed Max's snarky and sarcastic humor, even if it is a little over the top sometimes. I mean, no teenage girl really talks that way all the time in real life, right? But it adds a little fun to her character, which I like. And of course I loved Fang. In my opinion, FANG + MAX = LOVE AND AWESOMENESS, so I was happy with the abundance of Fang in this book. The roller coaster-like twists and turns kept me alert and curious throughout the entire book, right to the very end. James Patterson's writing is quick and fast-paced in this series, so it's easy to get caught up and keep reading and reading and reading and reading- which is exactly what I did.

However, I have to say that the ending of this book was disappointing. It left so many questions unanswered that I was left wondering about even more than when I started the book. I know that endings aren't supposed to answer everything, but I don't think that they should leave everything to the reader's imagination either. When I read the ending of a book- especially the ending of a series- I expect to feel a sense of finality and, to some extent, satisfaction that everything is coming to a close. Because this series is so long (eight books!) I thought that the author would have more than enough time to write a well thought out ending that makes sense and that is a balance between leaving questions unanswered and leaking out some information. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

Overall, I have mixed feelings about Nevermore. While I did enjoy the depth of the characters and their constant changes in relationships, the ending left me feeling like another whole book could be written.

My Rating: :0) :0) :0) 3 out of 5 smileys.

Would I recommend it to a friend?: I would. But they would have to read the rest of the series first, because it would be way too confusing. Despite my disappointment in this last book, I do think that Maximum Ride is a series worth reading.

Yours,
NutFreeNerd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)