Saturday, July 21, 2012

Book Review: PLEASE DON'T BE TRUE

Author: Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
Number of Pages:768
Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers
Release Date: March 8, 2011

In Please Don't Be True, Phyllis Reynolds Naylor continues her account of the life of Alice. Alice is your average girl going through high school. In this novel, the reader will read about Alice hanging out with her friends Liz, Pamela, and Gwen. Hardships will have an impact on everyone, but happy events will bring joy as well. Alice is a junior in high school in this novel.

After reading I Like Him, He Likes Her and It's Not Like I Planned It This Way, I had mixed expectations for this book. The first two were good, but there were a lot of things that annoyed me. I figured that this would be the make it or break it book. The things that irritated me could start to go away in this novel, or they could exponentially increase. Well, guess what? They increased.

I was disappointed with this novel. Alice and her friends grew more boy-crazy than ever, and Alice seems to have no common sense. For example, she doesn't see that the senior who asks her to the school dance is a creeper and just wants to use her. No, she thinks he's a great guy. WHY???? Because she's blind and oblivious to all bad guys.

Next, Alice is whiny and complains constantly about not understanding anything. And by anything, I mean that she mostly understand herself. I think that feeling is common among teenagers- I for one, certainly feel that way from time to time- but she talks about it as though she is the only one in the world going through it. She's like: OH MY GOSH I DON'T KNOW WHO I AM ANYMORE! I THOUGH I DID BUT NOW I DON'T AND MY BOYFRIEND WON'T EMAIL ME AND NO ONE IS CALLING ME AND BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!!! Seriously.

Normally, I love long books. But I have learned through this experience that long books are only good if the story inside of them is good. Otherwise, they are pure torture.

Maybe you might find this book enjoyable. Maybe you might even love it. I'm just saying that for me, it wasn't my favorite book. But then again, I have read books that are a lot worse than this was, so at least that's something positive to say.

My Rating: :0) :0) :0) 3 out of 5 smileys. Not the worst book I've ever read, but still not good.

Would I recommend it to a friend?: Ummmm.... probably not.

Yours,
NutFreeNerd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)