Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Book Review: INTO THE WILD

Author: Jon Krakauer
Number of Pages: 207
Publisher: Anchor
Release Date: January 13, 1996

"In April 1992 a young man from a well-to-do family hitchhiked to Alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless. He had given $25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself. Four months later, his decomposed body was found by a moose hunter. How McCandless came to die is the unforgettable story of Into the Wild."
                                                      - Goodreads.com

If you want a book that will really make you think, than you should pick this one up! This book is so well written, and everything is explained very well. The story itself is amazing, but the writing itself makes it that much better. I usually don't read non-fiction sort of books like this, but this one held my attention the entire way through. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book.

Chris McCandless' story is just so heart-wrenching. It's been a few days since I've finished this book, yet I still do not know whether to be happy for Chris or sad. Part of me wants to be happy, because he went out and accomplished what he wanted to do, and for many months he seemed extremely happy. On the other hand, his pursuit for happiness and satisfaction with life ultimately resulted in his own death. I have mixed feelings, but I think that's to be expected as this story is hardly cut-and-dry.

I read this with small groups in my English class, but it could easily be read alone without any issues. However, it was nice to be able to discuss the major points of this book with others, because there really is a lot to think about.

Overall, this was an amazing book. I have nothing bad to say about it!

My Rating: :0) :0) :0) :0) :0) 5 out of 5 smileys

Would I recommend it to a friend?: Absolutely.

Yours,
NutFreeNerd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)