Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Book Review: LORD OF THE FLIES (2nd)

Author: William Golding
Number of Pages: 182
Publisher: Penguin
Release Date: 1954

"William Golding's compelling story about a group of very ordinary small boys marooned on a coral island has become a modern classic. At first it seems as though it is all going to be great fun; but the fun before long becomes furious and life on the island turns into a nightmare of panic and death. As ordinary standards of behaviour collapse, the whole world the boys know collapses with them—the world of cricket and homework and adventure stories—and another world is revealed beneath, primitive and terrible. Lord of the Flies remains as provocative today as when it was first published in 1954, igniting passionate debate with its startling, brutal portrait of human nature. Though critically acclaimed, it was largely ignored upon its initial publication. Yet soon it became a cult favorite among both students and literary critics who compared it to J.D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye in its influence on modern thought and literature. Labeled a parable, an allegory, a myth, a morality tale, a parody, a political treatise, even a vision of the apocalypse, Lord of the Flies has established itself as a true classic."
                                                                                                - Goodreads.com
This is my second time reading this classic. Last year I read it individually for a book project, and I ended up rating it 3 out of 5 smileys. This year I read it as mandatory reading with my English class. I found that through reading it again I understood it so much better than the first time around. I went back recently and read my review from the first time I read this book and I was happy to discover that the questions I had mentioned in my post I now can answer.

This novel has really grown on me. It's a book that you can read over and over again and each time you do so, you find a few more details that you missed all those times before. It's a little slow in some parts, though, and sometimes I wanted to scream at the characters and say: "YOU IDIOTS! WHY DID YOU DO THAT???" Lord of the Flies is rich in symbolism and lessons that I think everyone should learn. If you want a good read that makes you think, pick up this book!

My Rating: :0) :0) :0) :0) 4 out of 5 smileys. Now that I understand it better, I have enjoyed the book more.

Would I recommend it to a friend?: Yes.

Yours,
NutFreeNerd

2 comments:

  1. Although I've heard lots of good things about this book, I've also heard it especially gruesome. Not that I'm generally squeamish about things like that, but how gory would you rate this book on a scale from 1-10 (10 being the most)
    THanks!
    ~Lucia

    ReplyDelete
  2. With 10 being the most, I would probably say that this book is a 6 on the gory scale. It's fairly graphic, but nothing disturbing or anything like that. It's mostly hunting pigs and maybe a select few other parts that get gory. I don't like extremely gross and gruesome books, and this hardly bothered me at all.

    ReplyDelete

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)