Saturday, April 14, 2012

Book Review: A NORTHERN LIGHT

Author: Jennifer Donnelly
Number of Pages: 396
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Release Date: September 1, 2004

"Sixteen-year-old Mattie Gokey has big dreams but little hope of seeing them come true. Desperate for money, she takes a job at the Glenmore, where hotel guest Grace Brown entrusts her with the task of burning a secret bundle of letters. But when Grace's drowned body is fished from the lake, Mattie discovers that the letters could reveal the grim truth behind a murder."
                                                     - Goodreads.com

I picked this book up at a local used bookstore and thought that it might be an okay read, but nothing spectacular.Well I was totally wrong! Jennifer Donnelly is an amazing writer who creates characters with so much depth and personality. I loved how she incorporated words into the book because it kept everything connected in a way-plus, I got to broaden my vocabulary a bit. The fact that this is historical fiction and based on an actual event makes it an even better novel in my eyes. Overall, A Northern Light is an amazing book that I'm so glad I took the time to read.

My Rating: :0) :0) :0) :0) :0) 5 out of 5 smileys

Would I recommend it to a friend?: Definitely! Especially those who are fans of historical fiction/ murder mysteries. This book is sort of a mixture of both.

Hugs,
NutFreeNerd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)