Saturday, March 31, 2012

Book Review: ROMEO AND JULIET

Written by: William Shakespeare

"Romeo and Juliet is a tragedy written early in the career of playwright William Shakespeare about two young "star-cross'd lovers" whose deaths ultimately unite their feuding families.

It was among Shakespeare's most popular plays during his lifetime and, along with Hamlet and Macbeth, is one of his most frequently performed plays. Today, the title characters are regarded as archetypal young lovers."

                                           - Goodreads.com

I read this play with my English class recently. It was my first Shakespeare experience, and I have to say that I was sadly disappointed. *WARNING: SPOILER ALERT* I am about to rant about this play, so if you do not want to know what happens, do not read any further.

Okay, so first off, it annoyed me how stupid Romeo and Juliet were. Romeo was like, "I have a feeling something will happen at this party that will ultimately lead to my death. Oh well! I'll go anyways!" And then he goes from being depressed about one girl to being totally in love with Juliet all in a day... that's a little quick, don't you think? And then Juliet was like, "I'm not going to marry Paris, a nice guy that my family adores! No! I'll marry Romeo, some strange dude that I met at a party! He's perfect for me, even though I know nothing about him other than that he's a Montague!" The whole thing was unrealistic and fake to me, and it just got so irritating after a while.

I know that they were supposed to be blinded by love or whatever, but honestly, Romeo and Juliet were total idiots. Romeo went and got himself banished from Verona for fighting in the streets, and then cried about it to the Friar. He didn't even realize that if it weren't for the mercy of the Prince he would be dead! Then Juliet was ready to kill herself over a guy she just met not even a week ago, and then she did, which was a horribly rash thing to do. Seriously, what relationship is like this?

However, this play wasn't all bad. I liked the language and the use of clever puns throughout the play. I also liked how when Romeo and Juliet first met, their conversation took the form of a sonnet.

My Rating: :0) :0) :0) 3 out of 5 smileys

Would I recommend it to a friend?: Honestly? It's hard to say. I might, depending on who it was.

Yours,
NutFreeNerd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)