Friday, February 25, 2011

Book Review: HOUSE OF DANCE

Yesterday I finished reading House of Dance by Beth Kephart. I checked this book out from my town library mostly because 1.)I like to dance, so the topic interested me and 2.) the cover was pretty with the red shoes and skirt and stuff. When I read the blurb about it on the inside flap I was like, "Hey! That actually sounds like a pretty good book!" (Only I didn't say it out loud- I thought it.) And what do you know? It was a very good book.

House of Dance is about a girl named Rosie who is about halfway done with her high school career. It's summer and her mom is obsessing over Mr. Paul (who already has a wife, by the way) and her dad walked out on them years ago. Her Granddad is dying of some sort of cancer and it seems like no one but Rosie is about to help him. She helps him sort his knick-knacks into categories like Toss, DL (Deciding Later) and In Trust, which she will keep. When doing this Rosie begins to understand her grandfather's story. She also begins to take ballroom dancing lessons, in hopes that it will bring some life back into Granddad, because music was a big part of his earlier years.

This is only the first book I've read by Beth Kephart, and I have to say that she is an awesome writer. She writes with detail so I actually felt like I was there with Rosie walking down the streets in the summer heat, but I wasn't bored reading it. My only complaint was that it ended sort of abruptly, but other than that I thought this book was great!

Rating: :0) :0) :0) :0) 4 out of 5 smileys

Would I recommend it to a friend?: Absolutely.

Later,
Aceba

P.S. This was my 50th blog post! YAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)