Saturday, September 15, 2012

Book Review: THE KILL ORDER

Author: James Dashner
Number of Pages: 336
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Release Date: August 14, 2012

"The prequel to the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series.
Before WICKED was formed, before the Glade was built, before Thomas entered the Maze, sun flares hit the earth and mankind fell to disease.
Mark and Trina were there when it happened, and they survived. But surviving the sun flares was easy compared to what came next. Now a disease of rage and lunacy races across the eastern United States, and there’s something suspicious about its origin. Worse yet, it’s mutating, and all evidence suggests that it will bring humanity to its knees.
Mark and Trina are convinced there’s a way to save those left living from descending into madness. And they’re determined to find it—if they can stay alive. Because in this new, devastated world, every life has a price. And to some, you’re worth more dead than alive."

                                                                                             - Goodreads.com

I'm really at a loss for words. I don't know how to convey my disappointment in not only this novel, the entire series as a whole. This series started out great- The Maze Runner is a fantastic book- but it just went downhill from there. When I first heard that James Dashner was writing a prequel to the series to clear up some confusion and answer some questions I was excited. I though it was a great idea. However, after actually reading the book, I am SO DISAPPOINTED.

Let me start off by saying that by itself, The Kill Order actually wouldn't have been that bad. In other words, if it wasn't associated with the Maze Runner series and if it wasn't the prequel to that series, it would have been a very mediocre book. Okay, so the ending cut off so abruptly that it left my head spinning, and you never really find out who lives and who doesn't, but despite those things it would have been a very average novel. The thing that makes me so upset is that THIS ANSWERED HARDLY ANY QUESTIONS AT ALL ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MAZE RUNNER GANG BEFORE THEY LOST THEIR MEMORIES!!! The only time they even mentioned them was in the too short prologue and the even shorter epilogue, but that's it. It's hard to say if James Dashner even knows the answer to these questions, or if he was just making it up as he wrote the series and he actually has no clue at all.

I think it's obvious that I am very angry. The only reason I'm not giving this book a horrific rating is because it was a good book by itself, if you forget that it's supposed to answer questions and clarify things that happened in the series that it is a prequel to. Honestly, it makes me sad that this series ended up the way it did. The Maze Runner was an awesome book, and the series had so much potential. I really don't know what was running through James Dashner's mind when he wrote the rest of the series.

My Rating: :0) :0) :0) 3 out of 5 smileys.

Would I recommend it to a friend?: Hmmm....I would recommend this to them if they had already read the series... might as well finish it up, right? But otherwise, no. Probably not.

Yours,
NutFreeNerd

1 comment:

  1. Hmm... was this book as violence crazy as the others? Not that I especially have a problem with violence in a book, but the Scorch Trials was basically a sequence of as many gory, horrible deaths James Dashner could mash into the book.

    ReplyDelete

Please don't hesitate to write a comment! Thanks! :0)